Learn why big data analytics is important by the data analytics and various value-added services it can provide.
- [Voiceover] Big data analytics leverages…distributed computing technologies…and data analytics techniques…to overcome computational challenges…presented by big data sets.…Distributed computing means…an approach used in computer science…to break down a task into smaller pieces…that are easier to process.…"Divide and conquer" is a philosophy behind…this classic technique.…Once partitioned into smaller chunks,…each element of the task is assigned to a processor…which could be geographically dispersed.…
For example, a fragment of your task…can be processed in Seoul, South Korea,…while another piece can be worked on in New York.…Cloud computing provides a platform…on which distributed computing can be implemented…with low cost and scalable methods.…To simply put it, cloud computing offers…a bunch of computers housed in data centers.…In addition to the hardware,…a software solution is necessary…to manage various aspects of distributed computing.…
This is why we need software tools…such as Hadoop and NoSQL databases.…Once you get with both hardware and software infrastructures…
Jungwoo Ryoo is a professor of information science and technology at Penn State. Here he reviews the history of data science and its subfields, explores the marketplaces for these fields, and reveals the five main skills areas: data mining, machine learning, natural language processing (NLP), statistics, and visualization. This leads to a discussion of the five biggest career opportunities, the six leading industry-recognized certifications available, and the most exciting emerging technologies. Along the way, Jungwoo discusses the importance of ethics and professional development, and provides pointers to online resources for learning more.
- A history of data science
- Why data analytics is important
- How data science is used in fraud detection, disease control, network security, and other fields
- Data science skills
- Data science roles
- Data science certifications
- The future of data science
Skill Level Beginner
Insights on Data Science: Lillian Piersonwith Lillian Pierson, P.E.23m 51s Intermediate
Learning Data Science: Understanding the Basicswith Doug Rose1h 16m Appropriate for all
1. Define Data Science
6. Future of Data Science
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.