- [Instructor] It's a common trope in science fiction movies…that the machines are here to take the place of the humans,…and while this often works into dystopian fantasy,…there are plenty of places in a real life where machines…and their algorithms do a lot of the heavy lifting…previously left to humans.…Securities trading is one place…where this change has already happened,…with over 75 percent of all trades being made by machines,…and so, let's talk a little bit about why that's the case,…how it works, and what it means.…
First off, we're talking about algorithmic trading,…and so, you may want to know what is that?…Well, algorithmic trading is the use of computer programs,…or specifically the algorithms that process the information,…to evaluate and trade securities, like stocks and bonds.…Another name for this is automated trading systems,…and a variation on this is informally called…human-in-the-loop trading.…You have the possibility of the computer…doing absolutely everything,…including making the final action, the buy or the sell,…
- Examine how and why data science is applied to money.
- Interpret the benefits of algorithmic and human-in-the-loop trading.
- Evaluate how automated application reviews for loans and credit can change.
- Justify how social media can be beneficial to economics.
- Analyze the relationship between cryptocurrencies and data science.
- Interpret the ethical and technical challenges and possibilities of data science.
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 05/09/2018. What changed?
A: A: We added one video on data science careers in economics, banking, and finance.