One of the more well known ways to use a Lookup Table, also known as a LUT, is to color correct footage so you get the contrast and detail you want. Is there a specific approach to color grading with LUTs? In this movie, author Patrick Inhofer explains the three node approach to color correcting with LUTs in DaVinci Resolve.
- Now that we've got the in's…and out's of working with LUTs,…of working with log, of raw and raw controls,…it's time to start putting this all together,…and over the years I've developed…and taught about a very particular approach…when we're color correcting with look-up tables.…I call it the three-node approach.…Let's see how this works in action.…And let's in fact jump into our raw's timeline…and pick some raw footage,…and we're going to develop this footage…to a good starting point;…that's what I want to do.…
And to do that,…I'm going to select REDLogFilm so I'll make sure that…that's exactly what I'm doing.…I've got REDcolor3 and REDLogFilm selected,…so I've got a log style color grade going on…with this raw footage.…From here on out,…I'm going to treat it like log footage.…I'm going to go ahead and close out the clips,…and I'm going to add two more nodes;…Option + S twice and double-click the second node.…And the point here is that…I'm going to put my look-up table in this node here.…
I'll even go ahead and label it…
Once you're familiar with the differences between log, raw, and flat recordings, explore two different methods for color correcting that footage. First, Patrick shows you how to color correct manually, using the traditional tools in DaVinci Resolve. Then, he explains how to use lookup tables (LUT), and discusses LUT strengths and limitations.
- Differentiating between raw and log recordings
- Differentiating between cameras that record flat vs. log
- Setting project-wide raw and LUT preferences
- Applying LUTs to footage
- Exporting LUTs from Resolve
- Color correcting raw footage
- Color correcting log footage
- Using LUTs with log, raw, and flat footage
- Importing, exporting, and managing LUTs in Resolve
Skill Level Intermediate
DaVinci Resolve 12 Essential Trainingwith Patrick Inhofer15h 43m Beginner
1. Defining Our Terms
2. Color Correcting Raw in DaVinci Resolve
3. Color Correcting Log and Flat Footage in DaVinci Resolve
4. Demystifying Lookup Tables (LUTs)
5. Color Correcting Log, Raw, and Flat Footage with Lookup Tables
Additional resources2m 16s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.