One of the more well known ways to use a Lookup Table, also known as a LUT, is to color correct footage so you get the contrast and detail you want. Is there a specific approach to color grading with LUTs? In this movie, author Patrick Inhofer shows the three node approach to color correcting with LUTs in action in DaVinci Resolve.
- You now have all the information you need to put together…all of this knowledge and so let's look at this in action.…Let's correct a shot or two and see what happens.…We're going to come back and again I want to work on the raw…just to drive home the point that once you develop a raw…into a log starting point, you can treat it like log.…So let's double check and see what it is we've done…to our image, we've applied a 3D LUT and I'm going to go…and change to this one right here, this 4K Film to Rec 709…that's the one where we deconstructed on the gray scale…what this LUT wants this image to be prepared by.…
Notice how we're getting all of this information being…clipped out, I'm going to change my waveform to go Y only…so it's brightness only.…See all those color channels summed together?…I'm going to bypass LUT number two, now that we've analyzed…let's see if we can't get this image in a better place.…So remember I said that well really wants the highlights…below 768 just above 640.…We could do this in one of two ways, we could because it's…
Once you're familiar with the differences between log, raw, and flat recordings, explore two different methods for color correcting that footage. First, Patrick shows you how to color correct manually, using the traditional tools in DaVinci Resolve. Then, he explains how to use lookup tables (LUT), and discusses LUT strengths and limitations.
- Differentiating between raw and log recordings
- Differentiating between cameras that record flat vs. log
- Setting project-wide raw and LUT preferences
- Applying LUTs to footage
- Exporting LUTs from Resolve
- Color correcting raw footage
- Color correcting log footage
- Using LUTs with log, raw, and flat footage
- Importing, exporting, and managing LUTs in Resolve