Lookup tables, also known as LUTs, have been better known for applying a color correction to footage whether that be on set or in postproduction. There are several other kinds of LUTs including a technical LUT. In this movie, author Patrick Inhofer explains what a technical LUT is, how they are used and how to apply one in DaVinci Resolve.
- Earlier we talked about three broad categories…of lookup table, technical, creative, and on-set.…Let's walk through each of these and see…where you might want to use them and why.…And we're going to start with technical lookup tables.…As we come back here into our project settings…and jump into color management,…almost all of these that you would apply…in the viewer would be technical lookup tables,…maybe the one exception is an on-set lookup table,…generated on-set by the director of photography.…
Other than that, these are mostly going to be very technical.…You're applying it on input or you're applying it…to a monitor, or maybe just to a viewer or to your scopes.…Another place you might apply a technical lookup table…could be, I Option + F out of this…and jump into the timeline level, Option + S,…now we're affecting every shot in this timeline.…If we want to do a trim pass,…and maybe change the behavior of every shot…in this timeline, a technical lookup table…might be one reason we'd do that.…
For instance, under DCI, if I want to take this render…
Once you're familiar with the differences between log, raw, and flat recordings, explore two different methods for color correcting that footage. First, Patrick shows you how to color correct manually, using the traditional tools in DaVinci Resolve. Then, he explains how to use lookup tables (LUT), and discusses LUT strengths and limitations.
- Differentiating between raw and log recordings
- Differentiating between cameras that record flat vs. log
- Setting project-wide raw and LUT preferences
- Applying LUTs to footage
- Exporting LUTs from Resolve
- Color correcting raw footage
- Color correcting log footage
- Using LUTs with log, raw, and flat footage
- Importing, exporting, and managing LUTs in Resolve
Skill Level Intermediate
DaVinci Resolve 12 Essential Trainingwith Patrick Inhofer15h 43m Beginner
1. Defining Our Terms
2. Color Correcting Raw in DaVinci Resolve
3. Color Correcting Log and Flat Footage in DaVinci Resolve
4. Demystifying Lookup Tables (LUTs)
5. Color Correcting Log, Raw, and Flat Footage with Lookup Tables
Additional resources2m 16s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.