Creative Lookup Tables (LUTs) are used to help you get your footage to a look that you like. Creative LUTs are better known for that reason. How do you apply a creative LUT in DaVinci Resolve? In this movie, author Patrick Inhofer explains what a creative LUT is and how to use it in DaVinci Resolve.
- [Instructor] Creative Look Up Tables I consider to be…just about anything that you use…to get you to a look you like,…and where I'll typically use a creative Look Up Table…is in the node tree.…So let's take a look at doing that.…I'm going to go ahead and delete…this technical LUT that we placed in,…come back to our node tree;…and let's imagine that we're really happy right now…with the way this looks.…Maybe I've gone ahead and,…let's Shift + S to put a node before;…and maybe we've just done a little bit…of an offset adjustment just to bring down this overexposure…and now we've got a general image that we like,…but we want to give it a look, right?…A kind of creative look.…
So what I would do is Option S,…right click;…and now let's pick a creative LUT,…and we've got a set of film looks…that ship with DaVinci Resolve.…We're in the HD color space rec 709,…so I'll pick Fuji D60.…I'll click on that,…and now I got a look applied that mimics a film look.…Now this image probably wasn't properly prepared…for what's going on here in node three;…
Once you're familiar with the differences between log, raw, and flat recordings, explore two different methods for color correcting that footage. First, Patrick shows you how to color correct manually, using the traditional tools in DaVinci Resolve. Then, he explains how to use lookup tables (LUT), and discusses LUT strengths and limitations.
- Differentiating between raw and log recordings
- Differentiating between cameras that record flat vs. log
- Setting project-wide raw and LUT preferences
- Applying LUTs to footage
- Exporting LUTs from Resolve
- Color correcting raw footage
- Color correcting log footage
- Using LUTs with log, raw, and flat footage
- Importing, exporting, and managing LUTs in Resolve
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Defining Our Terms
2. Color Correcting Raw in DaVinci Resolve
3. Color Correcting Log and Flat Footage in DaVinci Resolve
4. Demystifying Lookup Tables (LUTs)
5. Color Correcting Log, Raw, and Flat Footage with Lookup Tables
Additional resources2m 16s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.