Now that you know the differences between log, raw, and flat footage, you can now delve into how to color correct them in DaVinci Resolve. What are the Resolve project preferences that help you work best with Raw footage? Author Patrick Inhofer points out the project preferences in DaVinci Resolve that help you best color grade Raw footage.
- Now that we've got our concepts and terms put away…it's time to actually start working with some footage…and let's begin with RAW because it's a little more…complicated than working with LOG or FLAT footage…and I'm in our project Resolve Guru RAW Log and Flat.…Let's jump into the color page…and let's pull up the timeline for RAW.…As you can see down here we've got Red shots…if you're not seeing Red just double click down here…and cycle through until it shows you…the codec of the footage in the thumbnail timeline.…
Now for RAW recorded images, these are actually…looking not bad as starting points…if I pull up my scopes, yeah I mean I've got a decent…amount of range in all of these…although the blacks are a little lifted.…But I take a look on this wide shot…I've got clipping in my highlights…but you can see I've got a fairly wide range…of image, not bad for a starting point.…The deal is this is showing me the image developed…using the camera's settings at the time of recording.…
Camera settings for exposure, for monitoring…
Once you're familiar with the differences between log, raw, and flat recordings, explore two different methods for color correcting that footage. First, Patrick shows you how to color correct manually, using the traditional tools in DaVinci Resolve. Then, he explains how to use lookup tables (LUT), and discusses LUT strengths and limitations.
- Differentiating between raw and log recordings
- Differentiating between cameras that record flat vs. log
- Setting project-wide raw and LUT preferences
- Applying LUTs to footage
- Exporting LUTs from Resolve
- Color correcting raw footage
- Color correcting log footage
- Using LUTs with log, raw, and flat footage
- Importing, exporting, and managing LUTs in Resolve