Once you know how LUTs interact with log footage, you can go onto applying them to your video clips. How do you apply a LUT to footage in DaVinci Resolve? Where in the interface are the controls? In this movie, author Patrick Inhofer demonstrates how to apply a LUT to your footage in DaVinci Resolve.
- Now that you have a basic understanding of what a LUT is,…what expectations you can have for your LUTs,…let's take a look at all the different places…in the resolve interface where you can apply a LUT.…The most impactful place is here in project settings.…If you look under color management and you look under…look up tables, yes there's an entire area here…for look up tables.…You'll notice for each type of look up table, see there's…an input look up table, output, monitor, viewer, scopes.…
There are one d versions and three d versions.…Typically, you'd use only one or the other.…And if your using a one d version…often you'll pair it with a three d version…that's paired specifically with that one d look up table.…For the rest of this series,…we're really only discussing three d look up tables.…His is what colors generally share and use.…So let's start with a three d input look up table.…If I go ahead and select a three d LUT,…and I have a bunch of these to select down here.…
Let's go ahead and just select something a little bit crazy.…
Once you're familiar with the differences between log, raw, and flat recordings, explore two different methods for color correcting that footage. First, Patrick shows you how to color correct manually, using the traditional tools in DaVinci Resolve. Then, he explains how to use lookup tables (LUT), and discusses LUT strengths and limitations.
- Differentiating between raw and log recordings
- Differentiating between cameras that record flat vs. log
- Setting project-wide raw and LUT preferences
- Applying LUTs to footage
- Exporting LUTs from Resolve
- Color correcting raw footage
- Color correcting log footage
- Using LUTs with log, raw, and flat footage
- Importing, exporting, and managing LUTs in Resolve
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Defining Our Terms
2. Color Correcting Raw in DaVinci Resolve
3. Color Correcting Log and Flat Footage in DaVinci Resolve
4. Demystifying Lookup Tables (LUTs)
5. Color Correcting Log, Raw, and Flat Footage with Lookup Tables
Additional resources2m 16s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.