Lookup Tables, also known as LUTs, have been better known for applying a color correction to footage whether that be on set or in postproduction. How do you take an on-set LUT and import it into DaVinci Resolve? In this movie, author Patrick Inhofer explains how to import and use an on-set LUT in DaVinci Resolve.
- [Instructor] Now that we've taken a look at an…onset LUT, let's figure out how to get it into Resolve,…so maybe we can use it here in node three instead of…what was shipping with DaVinci Resolve.…I'll open up our project settings,…and here on the color management tab, if you scroll down,…you're going to see at the bottom of the lookup tables…there's two buttons: one is an update lists,…the other is open LUT folder.…This folder is where we keep, store and organize…our lookup tables.…
I'll click on it, and this folder is literally…kind of buried in your system, if you scroll down,…you'll see that it's in my laptop, library, application,…support, blackmagicdesign, DaVinci Resolve, and then…a LUT folder, and these are all the LUTs that will…pop up whenever we right click or use a pull down…menu for a lookup table.…Depending on the style of the LUT, it will show up in…different areas of the interface.…Let me go ahead hide Resolve, let's take our exercise…files, and we're going to take these four sets of LUTs,…and drop them into this LUT folder.…
Once you're familiar with the differences between log, raw, and flat recordings, explore two different methods for color correcting that footage. First, Patrick shows you how to color correct manually, using the traditional tools in DaVinci Resolve. Then, he explains how to use lookup tables (LUT), and discusses LUT strengths and limitations.
- Differentiating between raw and log recordings
- Differentiating between cameras that record flat vs. log
- Setting project-wide raw and LUT preferences
- Applying LUTs to footage
- Exporting LUTs from Resolve
- Color correcting raw footage
- Color correcting log footage
- Using LUTs with log, raw, and flat footage
- Importing, exporting, and managing LUTs in Resolve
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Defining Our Terms
2. Color Correcting Raw in DaVinci Resolve
3. Color Correcting Log and Flat Footage in DaVinci Resolve
4. Demystifying Lookup Tables (LUTs)
5. Color Correcting Log, Raw, and Flat Footage with Lookup Tables
Additional resources2m 16s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.