Once you know where the controls are that are best to use when color grading footage shot in log, you can begin to color correct it all. What are the methods for color grading footage shot in log? In this movie, author Patrick Inhofer demonstrates a second method for color correcting footage shot n LOG in DaVinci Resolve.
- In this second approach, I'm going to move to the Log wheels,…and I'll do it on the interface this time.…Because remember, we have two choices…with the Log wheels now in Resolve 12.5.…We can use the Legacy Log wheels…or we can use the more current Log wheels…and see what we think and how they compare…to using the Lift, Gamma, Gain in the primaries.…So let's switch over to our Log wheels.…And I'm going to version out, let's open up the clips.…I'm going to double click down here…so I can see my version number.…
It's blank right now.…When I hit command y, or control y on a PC,…it jumps me over here to version number two.…I'll open up my node tree.…Right click, reset all grades and nodes.…And now, let's start working our shadow,…midtone, and highlight.…So I'll start pulling up my highlight…and we're using the default right now,…which are the new version of these Log wheels.…And I'll drop my shadows just until,…I'm looking at the scopes,…just until they just about touch black.…And then I'll take these midtones…and start adjusting these midtones.…
Once you're familiar with the differences between log, raw, and flat recordings, explore two different methods for color correcting that footage. First, Patrick shows you how to color correct manually, using the traditional tools in DaVinci Resolve. Then, he explains how to use lookup tables (LUT), and discusses LUT strengths and limitations.
- Differentiating between raw and log recordings
- Differentiating between cameras that record flat vs. log
- Setting project-wide raw and LUT preferences
- Applying LUTs to footage
- Exporting LUTs from Resolve
- Color correcting raw footage
- Color correcting log footage
- Using LUTs with log, raw, and flat footage
- Importing, exporting, and managing LUTs in Resolve