Once you know where the controls are that are best to use when color grading footage shot in log, you can begin to color correct it all. What are the methods for color grading footage shot in log? In this movie, author Patrick Inhofer demonstrates one method for color correcting footage shot in log in DaVinci Resolve.
- I thought what we'd do now is start…color correcting (chuckles) some logged footage.…I'm going to walk you through two basic approaches.…They're a little bit different from each other.…Within each approach, there are a couple…of different variables to experiment with.…The idea here is one isn't better…than the other except it might be…on a particular job, or on a particular shot,…and you kind of have to explore and figure out…which approach works for you.…That's all we're going to do now.…We're going to explore.…
I'll work a little bit in the software.…Using the mouse, I'll work a little bit…on this control surface here, so you can see…how I actually go about doing this…with something like this in front of me,…and we're going to start here on the log timeline.…I'm also going to come down to my workspace,…and switch this to full screen.…I just like having more of the interface available here.…Let's take a look at our clips.…I'm working on this first shot here.…I'm in loop, and I'm going to play this around,…and on it's own, it's not terrible.…
Once you're familiar with the differences between log, raw, and flat recordings, explore two different methods for color correcting that footage. First, Patrick shows you how to color correct manually, using the traditional tools in DaVinci Resolve. Then, he explains how to use lookup tables (LUT), and discusses LUT strengths and limitations.
- Differentiating between raw and log recordings
- Differentiating between cameras that record flat vs. log
- Setting project-wide raw and LUT preferences
- Applying LUTs to footage
- Exporting LUTs from Resolve
- Color correcting raw footage
- Color correcting log footage
- Using LUTs with log, raw, and flat footage
- Importing, exporting, and managing LUTs in Resolve
Skill Level Intermediate
DaVinci Resolve 12 Essential Trainingwith Patrick Inhofer15h 43m Beginner
1. Defining Our Terms
2. Color Correcting Raw in DaVinci Resolve
3. Color Correcting Log and Flat Footage in DaVinci Resolve
4. Demystifying Lookup Tables (LUTs)
5. Color Correcting Log, Raw, and Flat Footage with Lookup Tables
Additional resources2m 16s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.