Once you know how LUTs interact with log footage, you can go onto applying them to your video clips. How do you apply a LUT to footage in DaVinci Resolve? Where in the interface are the controls? In this movie, author Patrick Inhofer demonstrates how to apply a LUT to your footage in a Node Tree in DaVinci Resolve.
- I'm in our Log timeline we're on shot number two…and what I want to do is apply a lookup table…inside the node graph, this allows me…to color grade before the LUT…it allows me to color grade after the LUT…and as we'll see later on, yes there are differences…and as a colorist it gives me the most amount of control…I'm not just applying a LUT and effecting…every single shot in here or applying a LUT…and effecting just my outputs or my renders.…The way you apply a LUT on a node is to right click…and then you have this LUT menu that pops up…I'll click on that and now I've got my various choices…for different kinds of lookup tables.…
When I apply a LUT, for instance…on this one let's just pick the cinema camera…film to rec 709, which is HD version two…I'll select that and there we go…instant transformation we've got expanded contrast…our blacks have dropped, our highlights have lifted…we've got expanded saturation…if I look at the vector scope…I'll shift D to bypass that's the camera original…this is with the LUT applied…
Once you're familiar with the differences between log, raw, and flat recordings, explore two different methods for color correcting that footage. First, Patrick shows you how to color correct manually, using the traditional tools in DaVinci Resolve. Then, he explains how to use lookup tables (LUT), and discusses LUT strengths and limitations.
- Differentiating between raw and log recordings
- Differentiating between cameras that record flat vs. log
- Setting project-wide raw and LUT preferences
- Applying LUTs to footage
- Exporting LUTs from Resolve
- Color correcting raw footage
- Color correcting log footage
- Using LUTs with log, raw, and flat footage
- Importing, exporting, and managing LUTs in Resolve
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Defining Our Terms
2. Color Correcting Raw in DaVinci Resolve
3. Color Correcting Log and Flat Footage in DaVinci Resolve
4. Demystifying Lookup Tables (LUTs)
5. Color Correcting Log, Raw, and Flat Footage with Lookup Tables
Additional resources2m 16s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.