In this installment of Resolve Guru colorist Patrick Inhofer explores the concepts of log and raw footage. You’ll learn the difference between the two recording methods and how to tell the difference when using DaVinci Resolve. Then, you’ll learn about two different methods for color correcting that footage in DaVinci Resolve.
- We've wrapped up talking about raw, log and flat…workflows, and using LUTs to color-grade them.…I want to share with you my favorite resources…to continue your skill development in the field…of digital video color correction.…First, for more information on DaVinci Resolve itself,…from within the app, select help, DaVinci Resolve help,…and that'll open up the manual, and unlike software…manuals you've come to know and despise,…the DaVinci Resolve manual is filled with tons of…useful information including working with LUTs.…
For more interactive help, you can visit…forum.blackmagicdesign.com.…There is a specific forum for DaVinci Resolve,…and this website is designed primarily as user-to-user…help, but the resolve team is frequently seen…answering questions and solving problems,…so it's never a bad idea to ask questions there.…You can also check out the library to see my titles…on Resolve 12, Resolve 11, SpeedGrade CC,…if you do a search on DaVinci Resolve, you'll find…more of these Resolve guru titles.…
Finally, as you use DaVinci Resolve, you'll no doubt…
Once you're familiar with the differences between log, raw, and flat recordings, explore two different methods for color correcting that footage. First, Patrick shows you how to color correct manually, using the traditional tools in DaVinci Resolve. Then, he explains how to use lookup tables (LUT), and discusses LUT strengths and limitations.
- Differentiating between raw and log recordings
- Differentiating between cameras that record flat vs. log
- Setting project-wide raw and LUT preferences
- Applying LUTs to footage
- Exporting LUTs from Resolve
- Color correcting raw footage
- Color correcting log footage
- Using LUTs with log, raw, and flat footage
- Importing, exporting, and managing LUTs in Resolve