Lookup Tables, also known as LUTs, have been better known for applying a color correction to footage whether that be on set or in postproduction. How do you create and use a LUT on set? In this movie, author Patrick Inhofer explains what an on-set LUT is, how they are used and how there can be many on-set LUTs for a camera setup.
- Finally there are onset Look Up Tables.…These are Look Up Tables created at the time of the shoot…usually by the cinematographer…and maybe a DIT or an onset colorist.…The point of these Look Up Tables is to help us…in post-production recreate their intent onset.…So whereas I consider a creative LUT to be a choice,…onset LUTs are about as close to imposed…on us as you can possibly get.…
The DP spent time creating this.…It's your obligation to at least show your producer…and director what the DP wanted.…In the end they can decide to throw it away.…You could decide to use it as a reference…and rebuild them by hand;…but either way,…it's earned a certain amount of respect…that these other types of LUTs,…well, they frankly don't really deserve.…Let me show you.…I had a buddy of mine,…Rich Rodman,…who's a very talented,…he's a talented colorist.…He's also a super talented and experienced DIT,…and he shared with me a couple of his…kind of anonymized Look Up Tables.…
I don't know what jobs they came from,…but let's take a quick look at the source files.…
Once you're familiar with the differences between log, raw, and flat recordings, explore two different methods for color correcting that footage. First, Patrick shows you how to color correct manually, using the traditional tools in DaVinci Resolve. Then, he explains how to use lookup tables (LUT), and discusses LUT strengths and limitations.
- Differentiating between raw and log recordings
- Differentiating between cameras that record flat vs. log
- Setting project-wide raw and LUT preferences
- Applying LUTs to footage
- Exporting LUTs from Resolve
- Color correcting raw footage
- Color correcting log footage
- Using LUTs with log, raw, and flat footage
- Importing, exporting, and managing LUTs in Resolve