Join Richard Harrington for an in-depth discussion in this video The impact of sensor size, part of DSLR Video Tips: Lighting.
Rich: Rob, if we were out shooting. Robbie: Uh-huh.…Rich: I have my D7000 here. Robbie: Uh-hum.…Rich: You've got a Canon 7D. Robbie: Yep.…Rich: We put the exact same quality of lens on.…We set the aperture to the exact same setting.…We're going to still have different exposures, aren't we?…Robbie: We are, unfortunately.…You'd think with the same glass and, you know, the same…F-Stop and all that kind of stuff you'd have perfectly matching exposures.…That's just not the case.…Depending on what camera body you're using, depending on the crop factor…of that camera body, given all the same…settings, you're still going to get potentially different exposures.…
Now it's not going to be something like night…and day, but it could differ just a little bit.…It's something to be aware of.…Rich: Yeah, what's going to happen here is, I have got a crop factor of 1.5.…You have, I believe, 1.6 on the Cannon body there.…If we were shooting with a full body lens.…Maybe I pulled out my D600 or you brought out your 6D.…In that case, those are full frame sensors, and…
- Moving lights off-center
- Controlling exposure in bright areas
- Using ND filters and matte boxes
- Overpowering a backlight
- Maximizing available light with reflectors and shiny boards
- Using battery-operated LEDs and flashlights
- Enhancing shots in post-production
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Foundations of Video: Cameras and Shootingwith Anthony Q. Artis2h 58m Appropriate for all
DSLR Video Tips: Cameras & Lenseswith Richard Harrington8h 13m Appropriate for all
DSLR Video Tips: Technical Knowledgewith Richard Harrington4h 7m Appropriate for all
1. Can I Attach Lights to the Camera?
Moving lights off-center3m 42s
2. How Do I Control Exposure and Depth of Field in Bright Light?
3. How Do I Deal with Backlit Subjects in Production?
4. How Do I Light without Electrical Outlets Using Available Light?
5. How Do I Light without Electrical Outlets Using Alternate Sources?
6. How Do I Deal with Backlit Subjects in Post-Production?
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.