Join Richard Harrington for an in-depth discussion in this video Variable ND filter, part of DSLR Video Tips: Lighting.
Robbie Carman: So Rich, in situations where you want to use an ND filter, you…know, that obviously cuts down on the amount of light coming into the camera.…Rich Harrington: Yeah.…Robbie Carman: However in a situation like this, we're out…on this beach, and we have sort of, a mixed…environment where, part of the scene might be a little…dark, part of the scene might be a little bright.…Rich Harrington: The clouds are moving. The light can change at any moment.…Robbie Carman: An ND filter is sort of a hammer on something that needs…more of like I don't what something more gentle than a hammer would be.…Rich Harrington: A small chisel.…Robbie Carman: A small chisel. Exactly.…So enter the variable ND Filter. Rich Harrington: Yeah.…Robbie Carman: Tell us a little bit about that.…Rich Harrington: Well what it has here is this particular filter has a minimum…and a maximum value, and essentially as you turn the dial it actually gets darker.…
So you can see right through there.…How it's changing. Robbie Carman: Yep, absolutely.…
- Moving lights off-center
- Controlling exposure in bright areas
- Using ND filters and matte boxes
- Overpowering a backlight
- Maximizing available light with reflectors and shiny boards
- Using battery-operated LEDs and flashlights
- Enhancing shots in post-production
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Foundations of Video: Cameras and Shootingwith Anthony Q. Artis2h 58m Appropriate for all
DSLR Video Tips: Cameras & Lenseswith Richard Harrington8h 13m Appropriate for all
DSLR Video Tips: Technical Knowledgewith Richard Harrington4h 7m Appropriate for all
1. Can I Attach Lights to the Camera?
Moving lights off-center3m 42s
2. How Do I Control Exposure and Depth of Field in Bright Light?
3. How Do I Deal with Backlit Subjects in Production?
4. How Do I Light without Electrical Outlets Using Available Light?
5. How Do I Light without Electrical Outlets Using Alternate Sources?
6. How Do I Deal with Backlit Subjects in Post-Production?
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.