Join Richard Harrington for an in-depth discussion in this video Shooting "in the middle", part of DSLR Video Tips: Lighting.
One challenge with a backlit subject is getting proper exposure.…Now, I'm here with VP Kevin Bradley, and we're taking a…look at the shot, and, we properly exposed for the outdoors, right?…Kevin, as we look at the shot, everything's fine outside, right?…Yeah, the outside is properly exposed, but everything else is under.…Yeah, so you kind of have a choice here. You could decide to expose for the inside.…And, if we did that, why don't you go ahead and open it up a little…bit, either with ISO or aperture, whatever you want.…So we're opening,…ISO 640.…
Alright, and while we've got a decent exposure…here for him, the window is totally blown out.…So, Kevin, if, we really have two ways of solving this, right?…If we wanted to fix this, we could decide to modify the lighting. Yeah.…We could modify the window.…Yep.…Of course, sometimes we have no time, and so…if you don't have time to fix the lighting,…or fix the backlight, what would you do exposure-wise?…Well, in this day and age, cameras are starting to get a…lot more dynamic range, but the reality is just they're not there yet.…
- Moving lights off-center
- Controlling exposure in bright areas
- Using ND filters and matte boxes
- Overpowering a backlight
- Maximizing available light with reflectors and shiny boards
- Using battery-operated LEDs and flashlights
- Enhancing shots in post-production
Skill Level Intermediate
Video Foundations: Cameras and Shootingwith Anthony Q. Artis2h 58m Intermediate
DSLR Video Tips: Cameras & Lenseswith Richard Harrington8h 13m Intermediate
DSLR Video Tips: Technical Knowledgewith Richard Harrington4h 7m Intermediate
1. Can I Attach Lights to the Camera?
Moving lights off-center3m 42s
2. How Do I Control Exposure and Depth of Field in Bright Light?
3. How Do I Deal with Backlit Subjects in Production?
4. How Do I Light without Electrical Outlets Using Available Light?
5. How Do I Light without Electrical Outlets Using Alternate Sources?
6. How Do I Deal with Backlit Subjects in Post-Production?
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.