Join Richard Harrington for an in-depth discussion in this video Shiny boards, part of DSLR Video Tips: Lighting.
Male 1: So, in situations where you need a little bit more of…a reflective surface in a larger size, a shiny board is a perfect option.…Not only does it have more physical size of reflective surface,…as you can see here, it actually doesn't need to be held.…This particular one I just have mounted onto a C-Stand.…I have this frame here mounted to the C-Stand, and…then these little bolts right here actually position the shiny board.…So the cool thing about shiny boards, is that if your on a really…tight budget, you can actually make the shiny board yourself.…Simply get a piece of heavy duty card…board or foam board or something like that.…
And just put some tin foil on it.…That's pretty cheap.…But here I actually have a professional shiny board and…this particular one has two different reflective surfaces on it.…So this front surface that I'm looking at right now is really shiny.…And this is called as silver lumen.…This going to give you a nice direct sort of…reflection, on to the subject that you are recording.…
- Moving lights off-center
- Controlling exposure in bright areas
- Using ND filters and matte boxes
- Overpowering a backlight
- Maximizing available light with reflectors and shiny boards
- Using battery-operated LEDs and flashlights
- Enhancing shots in post-production
Skill Level Intermediate
Video Foundations: Cameras and Shootingwith Anthony Q. Artis2h 58m Intermediate
DSLR Video Tips: Cameras & Lenseswith Richard Harrington8h 13m Intermediate
DSLR Video Tips: Technical Knowledgewith Richard Harrington4h 7m Intermediate
1. Can I Attach Lights to the Camera?
Moving lights off-center3m 42s
2. How Do I Control Exposure and Depth of Field in Bright Light?
3. How Do I Deal with Backlit Subjects in Production?
4. How Do I Light without Electrical Outlets Using Available Light?
5. How Do I Light without Electrical Outlets Using Alternate Sources?
6. How Do I Deal with Backlit Subjects in Post-Production?
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.