Join Richard Harrington for an in-depth discussion in this video Reflectors, part of DSLR Video Tips: Lighting.
Male 1: One of the most essential pieces of equipment is going to be a reflector.…Which is what I have here.…And it just pops open.…And what I've got on one side is gold. And on the other side, silver.…And the sun is right about there.…The problem is, is that with our talent back here.…We don't have enough light on his face.…So we're getting some harsh shadows.…So what I'm going to do is I'm going to just position…this to bounce the sun from high in the sky.…We've already calculated its position.…And we're going to use that to fill in the face a bit.…And I can angle this, and depending upon what Kevin wants,…I can either go with the silver or the gold side.…
So I'm just going to get low in the shot.…So there it is in, and let me take it out for a second.…And you can see a difference in the lighting.…All right, gold side, and why don't you do a little strumming and playing.…And I will flip over to silver, just…so you can see the difference.…
The reflector did a good job there of bouncing light.…The challenge is, is that you always have to hold it.…
- Moving lights off-center
- Controlling exposure in bright areas
- Using ND filters and matte boxes
- Overpowering a backlight
- Maximizing available light with reflectors and shiny boards
- Using battery-operated LEDs and flashlights
- Enhancing shots in post-production
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Foundations of Video: Cameras and Shootingwith Anthony Q. Artis2h 58m Appropriate for all
DSLR Video Tips: Cameras & Lenseswith Richard Harrington8h 13m Appropriate for all
DSLR Video Tips: Technical Knowledgewith Richard Harrington4h 7m Appropriate for all
1. Can I Attach Lights to the Camera?
Moving lights off-center3m 42s
2. How Do I Control Exposure and Depth of Field in Bright Light?
3. How Do I Deal with Backlit Subjects in Production?
4. How Do I Light without Electrical Outlets Using Available Light?
5. How Do I Light without Electrical Outlets Using Alternate Sources?
6. How Do I Deal with Backlit Subjects in Post-Production?
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.