Join Richard Harrington for an in-depth discussion in this video Moving lights off-center, part of DSLR Video Tips: Lighting.
Rich Harrington: Okay, so you want to get the light off center?…Robbie Carman: Mm-hmm…Rich Harrington: You really have two things.…One thing that I like to pick up…is something like this, a real simple y adapter.…You can put it on the hot shoe.…You know like, well what's that big deal?…You just moved it like an inch to the right.…Robbie Carman: Hey, it makes all the world.…Rich Harrington: It actually makes a difference, and on this one, I…could put the microphone for sync sound recording, so I could have both.…Robbie Carman: Yep.…Rich Harrington: So absolutely, if I'm in a run and gun…situation, and I'm trying to be out there by myself I don't…have anybody to carry the gear. It's going to stay attached.…Now if I do, you know, have a sit-down situation.…
Robbie Carman: Mm-hm.…Rich Harrington: I have more control, that works.…Or just like you sometimes see still shooters, there are…times that I'll just take this off and palm it.…And keep it in my hand, and raise it out to the side, and direct it…where it needs to be to get the…
- Moving lights off-center
- Controlling exposure in bright areas
- Using ND filters and matte boxes
- Overpowering a backlight
- Maximizing available light with reflectors and shiny boards
- Using battery-operated LEDs and flashlights
- Enhancing shots in post-production
Skill Level Intermediate
Video Foundations: Cameras and Shootingwith Anthony Q. Artis2h 58m Intermediate
DSLR Video Tips: Technical Knowledgewith Richard Harrington4h 7m Intermediate
DSLR Video Tips: Cameras & Lenseswith Richard Harrington8h 13m Intermediate
1. Can I Attach Lights to the Camera?
Moving lights off-center3m 42s
2. How Do I Control Exposure and Depth of Field in Bright Light?
3. How Do I Deal with Backlit Subjects in Production?
4. How Do I Light without Electrical Outlets Using Available Light?
5. How Do I Light without Electrical Outlets Using Alternate Sources?
6. How Do I Deal with Backlit Subjects in Post-Production?
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.