Join Richard Harrington for an in-depth discussion in this video Matte box, part of DSLR Video Tips: Lighting.
Robbie Carman: So I'm here with DP, Kevin Bradley.…And Kevin I'm looking at your camera setup.…Looks pretty straightforward, but what do we got…going on here at the end of the camera?…Kevin Bradley: Well Robbie, this is what's called a matte box.…Robbie Carman: Okay.…Kevin Bradley: The whole purpose of a matte box, is to block the light.…Robbie Carman: Okay.…Kevin Bradley: Now a lot of people say, why do I…need a matte box if I've already got a lens hood?…The reason you need a matte box is it's a better lens hood, it has more features.…Robbie Carman: Sure.…Kevin Bradley: It's also a lot more stable.…It's something that will actually stabilize…the overall camera package.…Especially when you're shooting with these DSLRs.…One of the biggest problems is stability.…
And one of the things you can do to add…stability to the camera, is adding 15 millimeter lightweight rails.…The matte box is part of that whole setup that brings it together.…Robbie Carman: So we attach rails to a mounting plate, back here on our tripod.…
- Moving lights off-center
- Controlling exposure in bright areas
- Using ND filters and matte boxes
- Overpowering a backlight
- Maximizing available light with reflectors and shiny boards
- Using battery-operated LEDs and flashlights
- Enhancing shots in post-production
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Foundations of Video: Cameras and Shootingwith Anthony Q. Artis2h 58m Appropriate for all
DSLR Video Tips: Cameras & Lenseswith Richard Harrington8h 13m Appropriate for all
DSLR Video Tips: Technical Knowledgewith Richard Harrington4h 7m Appropriate for all
1. Can I Attach Lights to the Camera?
Moving lights off-center3m 42s
2. How Do I Control Exposure and Depth of Field in Bright Light?
3. How Do I Deal with Backlit Subjects in Production?
4. How Do I Light without Electrical Outlets Using Available Light?
5. How Do I Light without Electrical Outlets Using Alternate Sources?
6. How Do I Deal with Backlit Subjects in Post-Production?
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.