Join Richard Harrington for an in-depth discussion in this video Looking at scopes, part of DSLR Video Tips: Lighting.
Rich: Rob, we've got a couple shots open from our backlit scene,…and we're going to take a look at those in the scopes, but…you often remind me that what we're going to show here is close…to reality, but without the broadcast…monitor hooked up, this isn't completely accurate.…Robbie: Well, the scopes are.…I mean, the thing is, when you're looking at…the video signal on your computer monitor, you know,…if you have the brightness jacked all the way…up, things are obviously going to look a little brighter.…When you're doing color-critical or contrast-critical…tasks, yeah, you know, your computer monitor is not the best bet.…I mean, that's what we refer to in…the color world as having a reference monitor, that's…an external monitor that you can hook up to your system via some type of video IO.…
That's going to be calibrated to standards to allow you to, you know, better evaluate…what's going on in terms of brightness,…contrast, color and all that kind of stuff.…So.…Rich: But the reality is a lot of you will not have that option.…
- Moving lights off-center
- Controlling exposure in bright areas
- Using ND filters and matte boxes
- Overpowering a backlight
- Maximizing available light with reflectors and shiny boards
- Using battery-operated LEDs and flashlights
- Enhancing shots in post-production
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Video Foundations: Cameras and Shootingwith Anthony Q. Artis2h 58m Appropriate for all
DSLR Video Tips: Cameras & Lenseswith Richard Harrington8h 13m Appropriate for all
DSLR Video Tips: Technical Knowledgewith Richard Harrington4h 7m Appropriate for all
1. Can I Attach Lights to the Camera?
Moving lights off-center3m 42s
2. How Do I Control Exposure and Depth of Field in Bright Light?
3. How Do I Deal with Backlit Subjects in Production?
4. How Do I Light without Electrical Outlets Using Available Light?
5. How Do I Light without Electrical Outlets Using Alternate Sources?
6. How Do I Deal with Backlit Subjects in Post-Production?
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.