Join Richard Harrington for an in-depth discussion in this video Lighting with available light, part of DSLR Video Tips: Lighting.
Male 1: Hi! My name is Rich Harrington.…Male 2: And I'm Robbie Carmen.…Male 1: And this week, Rob, we're talking about lighting without electrical outlets.…In fact, lighting without even using batteries.…Male 2: How does that work?…Male 1: Well, there's this giant light source, that on most days, is out.…Male 2:…Male 1: Now some days it's gone and certain times…of day it's gone and those times of day are called?…Male 2: Night? Male 1: Yeah.…Male 2: Oh, okay, got it.…Male 1: But a lot of times we can actually use the sun.…And to do this we have to control…the sun.…With magical powers, or what do you have there?…Male 2: I have a big circle that has some shiny stuff on it.…
Male 1: Yep, and I've got another one here that's white.…And on one side has a calibration target.…But we've got a giant white surface here.…And you'd be surprised at how much this can actually bounce light back.…And you've got the same thing there, right?…Male 2: Yeah, so on this side I have a silver…surface and on this side I have sort of a golden surface.…
- Moving lights off-center
- Controlling exposure in bright areas
- Using ND filters and matte boxes
- Overpowering a backlight
- Maximizing available light with reflectors and shiny boards
- Using battery-operated LEDs and flashlights
- Enhancing shots in post-production
Skill Level Intermediate
Video Foundations: Cameras and Shootingwith Anthony Q. Artis2h 58m Intermediate
DSLR Video Tips: Cameras & Lenseswith Richard Harrington8h 13m Intermediate
DSLR Video Tips: Technical Knowledgewith Richard Harrington4h 7m Intermediate
1. Can I Attach Lights to the Camera?
Moving lights off-center3m 42s
2. How Do I Control Exposure and Depth of Field in Bright Light?
3. How Do I Deal with Backlit Subjects in Production?
4. How Do I Light without Electrical Outlets Using Available Light?
5. How Do I Light without Electrical Outlets Using Alternate Sources?
6. How Do I Deal with Backlit Subjects in Post-Production?
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.