Join Richard Harrington for an in-depth discussion in this video Flashlights and GL-1, part of DSLR Video Tips: Lighting.
Male 1: So while we're talking about home improvement stores, Rich.…There's a plethora of stuff to be found in a home improvement store.…Rich: Oh yeah.…Male 1: That can really help you on set. Rich: Yeah, absolutely.…Male 1: And you have something in your hand, that…I think that everybody should have in their set of tools.…Rich: Well this is a high-end model, but it's a flashlight.…And you can absolutely get a flashlight.…Flashlight at any home improvement store.…Those Mag lights get really bright. Male 1: Yeah.…Rich: And in a pinch, you can use those to fill in light on a set.…What I have here is a special production model.…It looks a lot like a hand-held power drill.…
This particular one is tungsten, and its got the right color temperature.…And this will easily fill in that light, I can adjust it and spot it up or down.…Runs off a rechargeable battery, so this is meant for just quick handheld lighting.…So if we're in a pinch, we're on set and it's really dark,…we need to add a little bit of fill, we can pop it in.…
- Moving lights off-center
- Controlling exposure in bright areas
- Using ND filters and matte boxes
- Overpowering a backlight
- Maximizing available light with reflectors and shiny boards
- Using battery-operated LEDs and flashlights
- Enhancing shots in post-production
Skill Level Intermediate
Video Foundations: Cameras and Shootingwith Anthony Q. Artis2h 58m Intermediate
DSLR Video Tips: Cameras & Lenseswith Richard Harrington8h 13m Intermediate
DSLR Video Tips: Technical Knowledgewith Richard Harrington4h 7m Intermediate
1. Can I Attach Lights to the Camera?
Moving lights off-center3m 42s
2. How Do I Control Exposure and Depth of Field in Bright Light?
3. How Do I Deal with Backlit Subjects in Production?
4. How Do I Light without Electrical Outlets Using Available Light?
5. How Do I Light without Electrical Outlets Using Alternate Sources?
6. How Do I Deal with Backlit Subjects in Post-Production?
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.