Join Richard Harrington for an in-depth discussion in this video Evaluating the results, part of DSLR Video Tips: Lighting.
Male 1: We're back in the studio and I'd like to just take…a moment to, take a look at a few of the shots we got.…Male 2: Okay.…Male 1: Because I think it's useful to,…sort of, debrief on, did the technique work?…Male 2: Yeah, absolutely.…And, I think it did, pretty well in, in…this particular situation, but we'll stop and take a look.…Male 1: Alright.…So, this first shot here, we positioned our subject.…We used the sun path calculator to sort of figure where was the sun going to be.…Male 2: Mm-hm.…Male 1: And, it's hitting his shoulder here.…Coming sort of from up high to his sort of left shoulder.…Male 2: Yeah, kind of coming a little bit behind him, and,…it looks okay, I mean the exposure and stuff looks good but…what I'm noticing about it is that kind of like on his…neck, the front of his chest, we're getting some pretty harsh shadows there.…
Male 1: Yeah…Male 2: And some pretty it's, pretty big contrast differences.…And you know, it looks okay and certainly we could get by…with it, but I think that we could enhance this a little bit.…
- Moving lights off-center
- Controlling exposure in bright areas
- Using ND filters and matte boxes
- Overpowering a backlight
- Maximizing available light with reflectors and shiny boards
- Using battery-operated LEDs and flashlights
- Enhancing shots in post-production
Skill Level Intermediate
Video Foundations: Cameras and Shootingwith Anthony Q. Artis2h 58m Intermediate
DSLR Video Tips: Cameras & Lenseswith Richard Harrington8h 13m Intermediate
DSLR Video Tips: Technical Knowledgewith Richard Harrington4h 7m Intermediate
1. Can I Attach Lights to the Camera?
Moving lights off-center3m 42s
2. How Do I Control Exposure and Depth of Field in Bright Light?
3. How Do I Deal with Backlit Subjects in Production?
4. How Do I Light without Electrical Outlets Using Available Light?
5. How Do I Light without Electrical Outlets Using Alternate Sources?
6. How Do I Deal with Backlit Subjects in Post-Production?
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.