Join Richard Harrington for an in-depth discussion in this video Evaluating the results, part of DSLR Video Tips: Lighting.
Rich: We're back in the studio, and it was…a fun shoot, but I think under the controlled conditions…of the studio with scopes and everything up, let's…take a look at some of the shots we got.…We're going to show you some of the ones that were good, and some of…the ones that weren't so good, so that you can learn from our purposeful mistakes.…Robbie: Now just to be clear, the ones that I was shooting were the good ones.…The ones that Rich, no I'm kidding.…Rich: Sometimes we shoot things wrong, and the technical term is.…Teaching slides…from the photo world. Robbie: Right.…Rich: But we want to show you how the shot would work without…using any filtration and that's what we have up here first, right Rob?…Robbie: So this shot that we're looking at here obviously has a boatload of problems.…
I mean, just looking at it, you can see…that everything has just kind of gone to white.…Gone to gray.…If you look at the reference monitor over…here, and the wave form monitor, you'll notice…at the top of the scale, right there around 100 IRE, we have this huge clump…
- Moving lights off-center
- Controlling exposure in bright areas
- Using ND filters and matte boxes
- Overpowering a backlight
- Maximizing available light with reflectors and shiny boards
- Using battery-operated LEDs and flashlights
- Enhancing shots in post-production
Skill Level Intermediate
Video Foundations: Cameras and Shootingwith Anthony Q. Artis2h 58m Intermediate
DSLR Video Tips: Cameras & Lenseswith Richard Harrington8h 13m Intermediate
DSLR Video Tips: Technical Knowledgewith Richard Harrington4h 7m Intermediate
1. Can I Attach Lights to the Camera?
Moving lights off-center3m 42s
2. How Do I Control Exposure and Depth of Field in Bright Light?
3. How Do I Deal with Backlit Subjects in Production?
4. How Do I Light without Electrical Outlets Using Available Light?
5. How Do I Light without Electrical Outlets Using Alternate Sources?
6. How Do I Deal with Backlit Subjects in Post-Production?
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.