Join Richard Harrington for an in-depth discussion in this video Evaluating the result, part of DSLR Video Tips: Lighting.
Rich: We're back into the studio, and let's take…a look at some of the footage we got.…We, we purposely shot it, I don't want to say wrong, but we shot it…in different ways, where we didn't have the extra lights, and then we did.…And what are we looking at in this first shot here, Rob?…Robbie: An ugly shot.…I mean, this was just kind of, we turned all the…room lights on, you know in, in the location we're at.…Rich: Yeah.…Robbie: And it just doesn't look all that great.…It's too much, it's not, it's not dramatic at all.…It doesn't have any sort of character It's…a little green because of the fluorescent overheads, that kind of stuff.…Rich: These are the overhead fluorescent shop lights.…Robbie: Yep.…
Rich: And it, it has that nice, I don't know, industrial video sort of look.…Robbie: It does yeah, and I mean, it just doesn't look all that great.…The windows are a little blown out, he just has a weird parlor to him.…Yeah, it's not great.…Rich: So the next shot here, we turn…those lights off and we exposed for the outdoors.…
- Moving lights off-center
- Controlling exposure in bright areas
- Using ND filters and matte boxes
- Overpowering a backlight
- Maximizing available light with reflectors and shiny boards
- Using battery-operated LEDs and flashlights
- Enhancing shots in post-production
Skill Level Intermediate
Video Foundations: Cameras and Shootingwith Anthony Q. Artis2h 58m Intermediate
DSLR Video Tips: Cameras & Lenseswith Richard Harrington8h 13m Intermediate
DSLR Video Tips: Technical Knowledgewith Richard Harrington4h 7m Intermediate
1. Can I Attach Lights to the Camera?
Moving lights off-center3m 42s
2. How Do I Control Exposure and Depth of Field in Bright Light?
3. How Do I Deal with Backlit Subjects in Production?
4. How Do I Light without Electrical Outlets Using Available Light?
5. How Do I Light without Electrical Outlets Using Alternate Sources?
6. How Do I Deal with Backlit Subjects in Post-Production?
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.