Join Richard Harrington for an in-depth discussion in this video Calculating the sun's position, part of DSLR Video Tips: Lighting.
Male 1: Now, when we're outdoors in bright…sun like this, you really have two choices.…Overpower the sun or work with the sun.…But the problem with that is, where is the sun?…And of course I can spot where it is now.…It's right about there.…But what I want to know is, when I'm scouting a location or I'm trying to…decide where the sun is going to be when…I'm shooting, it's a little bit more difficult.…And for this we'll do sun path calculations.…Now the good news…is there's lots of phone apps that make this easier.…One of my favorites is called Sun Seeker.…
And what it does is it gives me a table and I can…easily see where the sun is going to be, using the compass on my phone.…And as I look I kind of get a general good idea.…But the coolest option is the 3D view.…And when I engage this, what happens is, my camera…in my phone actually starts to show me the sun.…And it gives me the actual path.…So as I'm looking for the sun's position there, I…could see it, there it is right there, in it.…And I'm framed up.…And what I'm looking at, is where the sun is going to be, so I could tell that…
- Moving lights off-center
- Controlling exposure in bright areas
- Using ND filters and matte boxes
- Overpowering a backlight
- Maximizing available light with reflectors and shiny boards
- Using battery-operated LEDs and flashlights
- Enhancing shots in post-production
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Foundations of Video: Cameras and Shootingwith Anthony Q. Artis2h 58m Appropriate for all
DSLR Video Tips: Cameras & Lenseswith Richard Harrington8h 13m Appropriate for all
DSLR Video Tips: Technical Knowledgewith Richard Harrington4h 7m Appropriate for all
1. Can I Attach Lights to the Camera?
Moving lights off-center3m 42s
2. How Do I Control Exposure and Depth of Field in Bright Light?
3. How Do I Deal with Backlit Subjects in Production?
4. How Do I Light without Electrical Outlets Using Available Light?
5. How Do I Light without Electrical Outlets Using Alternate Sources?
6. How Do I Deal with Backlit Subjects in Post-Production?
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.