Join Richard Harrington for an in-depth discussion in this video Backlit subjects in production, part of DSLR Video Tips: Lighting.
Rich Harrington: Hi. My name's Rich Harrington.…Robbie Carman: And I'm Robbie Carman.…Rich Harrington: Rob, this week we're going to tackle a subject…that's really difficult for a lot of folks, and that's backlighting.…We're a bit backlit right now.…We have a relatively brighter backdrop behind us.…And if we didn't put lights in front of us, we'd be dark, right?…Robbie Carman: Yeah, and unless you're going for…that silhouette-type look, you're going to want to to defeat it.…And it can often be challenging because especially if you don't…have a lot of additional light and all sorts of stuff.…You're stuck in the situation, should I, kind…of, expose for the brightness of the background?…Should I expose for the brightness of the foreground?…And you're going to find yourself in a situation when you…do one or the other, it doesn't look quite right, right?…If you expose for the background, we're going to be dark.…
If you expose for us, the background's going to be blown out.…So it can be a little tricky, for sure.…
- Moving lights off-center
- Controlling exposure in bright areas
- Using ND filters and matte boxes
- Overpowering a backlight
- Maximizing available light with reflectors and shiny boards
- Using battery-operated LEDs and flashlights
- Enhancing shots in post-production
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Foundations of Video: Cameras and Shootingwith Anthony Q. Artis2h 58m Appropriate for all
DSLR Video Tips: Cameras & Lenseswith Richard Harrington8h 13m Appropriate for all
DSLR Video Tips: Technical Knowledgewith Richard Harrington4h 7m Appropriate for all
1. Can I Attach Lights to the Camera?
Moving lights off-center3m 42s
2. How Do I Control Exposure and Depth of Field in Bright Light?
3. How Do I Deal with Backlit Subjects in Production?
4. How Do I Light without Electrical Outlets Using Available Light?
5. How Do I Light without Electrical Outlets Using Alternate Sources?
6. How Do I Deal with Backlit Subjects in Post-Production?
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.