Join Richard Harrington for an in-depth discussion in this video Backlit subjects in post-production, part of DSLR Video Tips: Lighting.
Rich Harrington: Hi, my name is Rich Harrington.…Robbie Carman: And I'm Robbie Carman.…Rich Harrington: On an earlier episode we took a look…at a back lit shot and back lighting is one of…those problems that just brings out everything that's wrong with video,…which is to the human eye, the scene could look great.…You're like oh, that's a nice window oh, there's our subject.…And everything looks good, but in the camera it just doesn't work, right?…Robbie Carman: Yeah, you know, it's one of those things that…we discussed previously that it can be a very challenging situation…And to be honest with you, if you're…having this problem with back light situations, don't,…don't you know feel bad about it, because…you're not the only one who has these problems.…
You know, I know professional gaffers and grips that have been battling these issues…for, for decades, and they still occasionally…come across situations that it's a problem.…But, you know, as we discussed previously, Rich, you…know, doing things like adding a little bit of fill.…
- Moving lights off-center
- Controlling exposure in bright areas
- Using ND filters and matte boxes
- Overpowering a backlight
- Maximizing available light with reflectors and shiny boards
- Using battery-operated LEDs and flashlights
- Enhancing shots in post-production
Skill Level Intermediate
Video Foundations: Cameras and Shootingwith Anthony Q. Artis2h 58m Intermediate
DSLR Video Tips: Cameras & Lenseswith Richard Harrington8h 13m Intermediate
DSLR Video Tips: Technical Knowledgewith Richard Harrington4h 7m Intermediate
1. Can I Attach Lights to the Camera?
Moving lights off-center3m 42s
2. How Do I Control Exposure and Depth of Field in Bright Light?
3. How Do I Deal with Backlit Subjects in Production?
4. How Do I Light without Electrical Outlets Using Available Light?
5. How Do I Light without Electrical Outlets Using Alternate Sources?
6. How Do I Deal with Backlit Subjects in Post-Production?
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.