Join Steve Simon for an in-depth discussion in this video Understanding the essentials of advanced autofocus, part of Performance Tuning the Nikon D800 and D810.
- Now that you have a good understanding of the…various auto-focus features and how they work on the…D810 and the D800 series cameras,…I wanted to go a little deeper into auto-focus and…talk about how I use back button auto-focus in…maybe some difficult situations and…really what you need to know for those situations.…Now often photographically…I want to have the subject,…not exactly in the middle of the frame,…so I want to move the focus points a little bit…outside the center and focus on…exactly where I want the subject to be sharp.…
The problem with 51 points as many as they are,…is that sometimes your main subject is…beyond that 51 point array.…So in those situations because…your Nikon 810 and 800 series cameras…have so much resolution at 36 megapixels,…I would rather back up a little bit,…maintain the focus point exactly where I want it.…Like in this particular image of this…woman at a political convention.…I knew that I wanted to have her sharp and…everything else a little out of focus so…I was shooting at a fairly wide aperture.…
In this course, photographer, author, and educator Steve Simon demonstrates a set of customization strategies aimed at making the D800 and D810 far more responsive.
- Configuring back button autofocus
- Working in single-point autofocus
- Using dynamic-area and group-area autofocus
- Exploring advanced autofocus in the D800 and D810
- Working in live view
- Reviewing best practices for Nikon shooting