Join Steve Simon for an in-depth discussion in this video Understanding the autofocus system, part of Performance Tuning the Nikon D800 and D810.
- View Offline
- Now that I have you converted to using…back button auto focus exclusively,…it's going to help to understand the various focus systems…available to us with the Nikon D800 series and D810 cameras…You know, it can be a little confusing…because there are a lot of options.…Now the fact is the D810 camera uses Nikon's latest…multi-cam 3500 FX2 auto focus module…with 51 focus points and man, it works really well.…It achieves focus lighting fast in most cases.…
But really the focus is also dependent…on which lens you use, and you'll notice…that some lenses are a little bit…faster than others to focus.…So you remember we set the camera to continuous servo mode.…And we're going to keep it there.…Well that same button that we used…to set the continuous servo,…the AF button on the side here,…we press and hold that,…but unlike using the back button,…this time we use the front wheel.…And by toggling the front wheel,…we see all the options available to us.…So if I make the change and I press and hold…and turn the front wheel,…
In this course, photographer, author, and educator Steve Simon demonstrates a set of customization strategies aimed at making the D800 and D810 far more responsive.
- Configuring back button autofocus
- Working in single-point autofocus
- Using dynamic-area and group-area autofocus
- Exploring advanced autofocus in the D800 and D810
- Working in live view
- Reviewing best practices for Nikon shooting