Join Richard Harrington for an in-depth discussion in this video Focusing manually, part of Up and Running with the Nikon D600 and D610.
- View Offline
- While I usually use auto focus,…I sometimes find myself shooting manually.…Perhaps it's for more control when shooting video,…where focus is often changing in the middle of a shot.…Or maybe I'm dealing with a moving subject…that auto focus just can't track.…I may want to manipulate focus to really push…the shallow depth of field or get a softly focused…image for aesthetic reasons.…When shooting time lapse, I'll often set the focus to auto,…get the initial focus, and then turn auto focus off,…so the camera doesn't make any changes in between shots.…
Of course if there's too little light,…you may need to manually focus anyway.…To use manual focus, you'll need to switch the camera.…Switch the Focus Mode Selector from AF to M.…If you're using a lens that also has a switch,…you should set that to M for Manual.…Be very careful not to set a lens focus mode switch…to manual while leaving the camera in auto focus.…This could potentially damage the camera or the lens.…Once in manual mode, turn the focus ring to adjust focus.…
Want to get up and running even faster? Check out the "Quick Start" chapter to learn how to use your D600 or D610 straight out of the box.
- Powering up and shooting with the scene modes
- Reviewing the lens controls
- Changing image format and size
- Adjusting ISO and exposure compensations
- Using Flexible Program mode
- Shooting in continuous low-speed, high-speed, and quiet-shutter-release modes
- Switching between metering modes
- Shooting with flash
- Shooting video
Skill Level Beginner
Foundations of Photography: Exposurewith Ben Long3h 24m Appropriate for all
Up and Running with DSLR Filmmakingwith Chad Perkins1h 10m Appropriate for all
1. Quick Start
2. A Closer Look
3. Shooting in Programmed Auto Mode
4. Exploring Autofocus
5. Understanding Shutter-Release Modes
6. Understanding Exposure Controls
7. Beyond the Basics
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.