Join Richard Harrington for an in-depth discussion in this video Aperture-Priority Auto mode, part of Up and Running with the Nikon D600 and D610.
- One of my favorite shooting modes is Aperture Priority.…This mode is most useful because it allows you…precise control over aperture.…For example, you can dial in the aperture that you want…to control the depth of field,…and then the camera will automatically calculate…and select the right shutter speed for a proper exposure.…To shoot in Aperture Priority mode,…just turn the dial to the letter A.…I find this mode quite useful when shooting portraits…and I really want to control the blurring of the background.…Aperture Priority lets you choose any aperture…that your lens supports.…
To change the aperture, turn the sub-command dial,…and you'll see the numbers update.…In order to properly judge the effects of aperture,…be sure to press down the depth of field preview button.…Hold this button down, and the lens will stop down…to the correct aperture and show you the impact…on depth of field.…In these two images, the aperture was manipulated…to control the depth of field.…You can learn more about aperture…in the Foundation of Photography series…
Want to get up and running even faster? Check out the "Quick Start" chapter to learn how to use your D600 or D610 straight out of the box.
- Powering up and shooting with the scene modes
- Reviewing the lens controls
- Changing image format and size
- Adjusting ISO and exposure compensations
- Using Flexible Program mode
- Shooting in continuous low-speed, high-speed, and quiet-shutter-release modes
- Switching between metering modes
- Shooting with flash
- Shooting video
Skill Level Beginner
Foundations of Photography: Exposurewith Ben Long3h 24m Appropriate for all
Up and Running with DSLR Filmmakingwith Chad Perkins1h 10m Appropriate for all
1. Quick Start
2. A Closer Look
3. Shooting in Programmed Auto Mode
4. Exploring Autofocus
5. Understanding Shutter-Release Modes
6. Understanding Exposure Controls
7. Beyond the Basics
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.