Join Emma Saunders for an in-depth discussion in this video Time series, part of D3.js Essential Training for Data Scientists.
- [Narrator] When presented with a data set,…the first question is always,…do you have a time series, and do you want to show it?…If the answer is yes, the next question is,…what type of data do you want to show over time?…Is it numeric, geographic, or text?…We're going to cover geographic and text data…in the next sections, but if it's numeric data,…you can ask yourself some more questions to help…narrow down the appropriate charts.…The first is, whether your time periods…are continuous or discrete.…An example of discrete data would be a closing price,…where the price has actually been changing all day long,…or a snapshot of turnover for a company,…taken on just the first day of the month.…
Let's say turnover is 100 on the first of August,…and 120 on the first of September.…To show that as a line chart would be an upward sloping line…with two points.…But actually there were 30 data points here,…and you're just showing two of them.…Turnover on August the second, August the third, and so on,…might have been lower than 100.…
- Making a simple bar chart with D3
- Understanding SVG graphics
- Drawing basic shapes
- Adding text
- Using generators and the path element
- Creating a scale and axes
- Importing data into D3
- Creating trees and Voronoi tessellations
- Preparing your data for advanced graphics
- Adding interactivity and transitions
- Choosing the right graphic
- Finding D3.js plugins
Skill Level Intermediate
Data Visualization for Data Analystswith Bill Shander1h 31m Beginner
Learning Data Visualization (2014)with Bill Shander3h 41m Beginner
2. Making a Simple Bar Chart with D3
3. Basic Shapes, Courtesy of SVG
4. Advanced Shapes, with D3 and Path
5. Scales and Axes
6. Importing Data into D3
7. Additional Graphics with D3 Layout
8. Preparing Your Data for Advanced Graphics
10. Picking the Right Graphic
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.