This video explains how to deal with text files and why not to.
- [Instructor] In this section, we're going to look at…importing data from a text file.…If you can avoid using a text file, do.…It's often more robust to use another format,…and it is certainly simpler.…Previously, we imported a text file,…but actually it was a pipe-delimited file in disguise.…And this time, we're going to import a proper text file.…So, I'm going to be using this file,…which is called test.txt,…and if you don't have access to it,…you can just copy what's on the screen now.…D3 imports text files as strings.…
The strings contain the tabs and new-line commands…that create the structure we see in the text.…But D3 doesn't automatically break it down into rows.…It pulls it in as one long string.…In this section, I'm going to assume that…you do in fact want rows.…I'm going to show you one way of parsing a text file.…To load it, we use d3.text, just as we did before.…And then, in there, we pop the URL,…which is test.txt,…and we know that we can use get…but we can't use row, because d3.text…doesn't interpret text file as having rows.…
- Making a simple bar chart with D3
- Understanding SVG graphics
- Drawing basic shapes
- Adding text
- Using generators and the path element
- Creating a scale and axes
- Importing data into D3
- Creating trees and Voronoi tessellations
- Preparing your data for advanced graphics
- Adding interactivity and transitions
- Choosing the right graphic
- Finding D3.js plugins
Skill Level Intermediate
Data Visualization for Data Analystswith Bill Shander1h 31m Beginner
Learning Data Visualization (2014)with Bill Shander3h 41m Beginner
2. Making a Simple Bar Chart with D3
3. Basic Shapes, Courtesy of SVG
4. Advanced Shapes, with D3 and Path
5. Scales and Axes
6. Importing Data into D3
7. Additional Graphics with D3 Layout
8. Preparing Your Data for Advanced Graphics
10. Picking the Right Graphic
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.