This video provides examples of abstract layouts that are used in next chapter.
- [Instructor] Let's leave the coding for a bit,…and show you some layouts via example.…In this chapter, we looked first…at a hierarchical layout called Tree.…Here's another Tree and this one's by Mike Bostock.…And we can see that there's a related layout…called Dendrogram.…Dendrogram and tree are really similar,…but they have different assumptions about positions.…Both of these layouts can be made radial instead,…if you prefer.…So this is a radial Tree,…and here's a radial Dendrogram,…which I find a bit more neat and tidy.…
Next we have the Treemap,…easily confused with Tree…until you see how it's laid out.…A Treemap is a rectangle split into smaller rectangles,…where the size of the rectangle…represents a value.…This one shows the total amount spent…by the UK Home Office to different airlines in 2011,…split by destination and by type.…And we have a slightly more colorful example here.…You can easily show two values on Treemaps,…using the rectangle size for one value,…and depth of color for another.…The Pack layout is similar in principle,…
- Making a simple bar chart with D3
- Understanding SVG graphics
- Drawing basic shapes
- Adding text
- Using generators and the path element
- Creating a scale and axes
- Importing data into D3
- Creating trees and Voronoi tessellations
- Preparing your data for advanced graphics
- Adding interactivity and transitions
- Choosing the right graphic
- Finding D3.js plugins
Skill Level Intermediate
Data Visualization for Data Analystswith Bill Shander1h 31m Beginner
2. Making a Simple Bar Chart with D3
3. Basic Shapes, Courtesy of SVG
4. Advanced Shapes, with D3 and Path
5. Scales and Axes
6. Importing Data into D3
7. Additional Graphics with D3 Layout
8. Preparing Your Data for Advanced Graphics
10. Picking the Right Graphic
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.