This video covers the concept of groups and mandatory attributes.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- [Instructor] Earlier I mentioned that you can't add text…to a rectangle or indeed any shape…to any other shape in an SVG.…This is the opposite of standard HTML where pretty much…any element can go inside another.…You can put a table in a div, you can put a div in a table.…Now there are some exceptions to this, to be precise,…one and a half exceptions.…The half is that, as we've already seen,…tspan elements can go inside a text element.…The big exception is groups.…You can add anything you like to a group…including other groups.…
Now group elements don't show up on the web page themselves,…you can't style them or put a board around them.…They're conceptual really.…But you can move them and rotate them which will…move and rotate their contents,…so they certainly have tangible effects.…Groups allow you to join elements together,…turn them all pink at the same time,…or move them 50 pixels to the right at the same time.…They also allow you to tidy up and organize elements…in the DOM which can get into quite a mess.…
- Making a simple bar chart with D3
- Understanding SVG graphics
- Drawing basic shapes
- Adding text
- Using generators and the path element
- Creating a scale and axes
- Importing data into D3
- Creating trees and Voronoi tessellations
- Preparing your data for advanced graphics
- Adding interactivity and transitions
- Choosing the right graphic
- Finding D3.js plugins
Skill Level Intermediate
Data Visualization for Data Analystswith Bill Shander1h 31m Beginner
2. Making a Simple Bar Chart with D3
3. Basic Shapes, Courtesy of SVG
4. Advanced Shapes, with D3 and Path
5. Scales and Axes
6. Importing Data into D3
7. Additional Graphics with D3 Layout
8. Preparing Your Data for Advanced Graphics
10. Picking the Right Graphic
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.