This video explains why you can't have D3 without SVG.
- [Female Narrator] Remember that we looked at block…and inline elements earlier.…While during this course, and generally within D3,…we treat SVG as a block element, meaning it takes…a rectangular space on the page.…It's best to think of SVG as a blank canvas…for us to draw on.…On the left, in the text editor, we're showing SVG tags.…SVG stands for scalable vector graphic,…which I'll explain shortly.…An SVG is always the first and largest element…of any D3 graphic.…You can't have a D3 graphic without an SVG…container to put it in.…
The SVG can sit directly within the body tags…or within another element such as a div.…It's quite un-fussy about where it sits,…but it is very fussy about what goes inside it.…You can't put a div or table or paragraph…inside an SVG, for example.…It's not a normal HTML element.…An SVG is a graphical element, and it can only…contain graphical items, such as rectangles,…lines, and circles.…SVG can contain text too,…but not within a paragraph element.…D3 adds graphics and text to an SVG element…
- Making a simple bar chart with D3
- Understanding SVG graphics
- Drawing basic shapes
- Adding text
- Using generators and the path element
- Creating a scale and axes
- Importing data into D3
- Creating trees and Voronoi tessellations
- Preparing your data for advanced graphics
- Adding interactivity and transitions
- Choosing the right graphic
- Finding D3.js plugins
Skill Level Intermediate
Data Visualization for Data Analystswith Bill Shander1h 31m Beginner
2. Making a Simple Bar Chart with D3
3. Basic Shapes, Courtesy of SVG
4. Advanced Shapes, with D3 and Path
5. Scales and Axes
6. Importing Data into D3
7. Additional Graphics with D3 Layout
8. Preparing Your Data for Advanced Graphics
10. Picking the Right Graphic
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.