Join Emma Saunders for an in-depth discussion in this video Finding plugins, part of D3.js Essential Training for Data Scientists.
- [Narrator] In an earlier chapter,…we saw a hex bin graphic like this one…made with D3.…It required an extra file, as well as our D3 file.…And here it is, so there's our D3 file…being pulled in, or their D3 file to be fair,…different from our one.…And here's the hex bin file that's being pulled in as well.…The extra file adds functionality to the core D3.…Do be aware when you look up plugins,…many of them are still going to be version three,…and they won't work with your version four D3 file.…So this example that we're looking at is version four.…
You can see that you pull the plugin file in,…in exactly the same way that you pull in the D3 file.…And now, in the code,…you can use this new command, D3_hexbin.…Now that command might look a bit odd,…because it's D3_hexbin instead of D3.hexbin,…which is the format that's been taken up until now.…And the reason for this is that the naming convention…can be really quite different with plugins.…Basically, the author defines their own terminology,…and you have to look at an example…
- Making a simple bar chart with D3
- Understanding SVG graphics
- Drawing basic shapes
- Adding text
- Using generators and the path element
- Creating a scale and axes
- Importing data into D3
- Creating trees and Voronoi tessellations
- Preparing your data for advanced graphics
- Adding interactivity and transitions
- Choosing the right graphic
- Finding D3.js plugins
Skill Level Intermediate
Data Visualization for Data Analystswith Bill Shander1h 31m Beginner
2. Making a Simple Bar Chart with D3
3. Basic Shapes, Courtesy of SVG
4. Advanced Shapes, with D3 and Path
5. Scales and Axes
6. Importing Data into D3
7. Additional Graphics with D3 Layout
8. Preparing Your Data for Advanced Graphics
10. Picking the Right Graphic
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.