Join Morten Rand-Hendriksen for an in-depth discussion in this video A holistic approach to content strategy, part of UX Foundations: Content Strategy.
- In creating this content, I was trying to find a visual aid that would help make sense of the process of building a content strategy for a project. The most obvious solution was some sort of circle or circular track with multiple lanes, but that didn't really convey the message the right way. In the end, I settled on a rolling ball comprising multiple layers. I call this the ball of content strategy, and it illustrates in a practical way the most important notion I want to convey on this topic. Content strategy is a holistic endeavor.
Just like a rolling ball, the center, the people, their motivations and goals, always stay in the center, and everything else revolves around them. And just like a rolling ball, the further out from the center you get, the more motion and flux you'll experience. Any time the ball dents or deflects, it has an impact on the whole structure, not just a surface. And if you take any part of the ball out, the whole structure collapses. I want you to think of this ball as we move our way through the different stages of the content strategy process.
To build a strong ball, we need a solid core, and each consecutive layer depends on this core and the previous layers to keep its structural integrity. For the content strategy to be effective, it must be holistic, and at its core we should always find people, their motivations, and their goals. Remember what I said in the very beginning of the course. Our goal is to facilitate successful communication, and that can only happen if we know what we want to communicate, who we want to communicate with, and how best to reach them and ensure they understand our message.
So that's what we'll start with, people, motivations, and goals.
Learn the four elements of constructing meaningful content, from identifying your audience and structuring and wireframing content to developing content guidelines and measuring the success of your efforts. Author Morten Rand-Hendriksen also shows you how to develop persona spectrums to better understand your users and evaluate the needs of important stakeholders and influencers.
- What is content?
- The components of content strategy
- Identifying stakeholders and audience
- Developing user persona spectrums
- Auditing your content
- Building guides, templates, and workflows
- Creating the content
- Measuring success