Learn how to write a headline that conveys an exciting, accurate, and irresistible sense of your story. Hone your skills with headline writing tools, tips, and real-world examples.
- From blogs and news articles to emails and press releases there's no shortage of written information coming at us from every direction these days. So if you're someone who needs to capture a reader's attention from time to time and who doesn't, then knowing how to write a killer headline is the key to getting your message heard. I'm Starshine Roshell, a journalist and writing coach and in this course I'm gonna show you how to craft a can't miss headline that gives your readers an exciting, accurate and irresistible sense of the story it promises to tell.
I'll take you through the content of a great headline, what goes into it and what to leave out. Then the style, how to use words and trends to engage readers. And finally the mechanics, the structural rules that keep a headline professional looking, grammatically sound and search engine friendly. A headline is where and how we, as readers, decide whether to invest our time in something. So if you're message is really worth sharing then you've got to work a little to earn your readers attention. And while there's definitely an art to writing headlines you don't need to be an artist to master it.
I'll show you.
How do you sum up an entire story in a few words? Starshine shows you how to preview a story, pull out the relevant benefits, and pack them into a pithy headline. Find out how to use style to engage your readers—writing with vibrant, active language, being truthful, and telling readers what they need to know in a timely way. She also stresses the importance of mechanics, showing you how to correctly and effectively use punctuation and capitalization in headlines. Plus, get details on when to write subheads, how to employ keywords for SEO, and the background on headline trends, all with loads of examples along the way.
- Construct attention-grabbing headlines.
- List the four Us of great headlines.
- Name three problems that arise from using long headlines.
- Explain how to use active verbs to enhance a headline.
- Identify trends that are helpful in creating fresh headlines.
- Use proper mechanics to craft grammatically correct headlines.
- Compose a subhead to share additional critical details.
- Summarize the benefits of using strong keywords in headlines.