Learn how to use the new Microsoft Surface Book and other hybrid laptop/tablet (2-in-1) computers.
- Hi, I'm Nick Brazzi. This course is all about two-in-one laptop computers, and we'll be specifically working with the Microsoft Surface Book. A two-in-one laptop is a single device that works just like any other laptop computer, but you can also separate the screen section and use it as a touchscreen Windows tablet. We'll start with a tour of the device, where we'll get to know all of the buttons and ports, and how to set up essential peripherals, like a mouse, keyboard, or external display. Next, we'll get familiar with how Windows 10 works on touchscreen devices.
We'll work with the touch control interface, the onscreen keyboard, and the tablet mode in Windows. We'll spend some time with the pen stylus, which is an accessory for the Surface Book. It's a great tool for making handwritten notes, or doing artwork. We'll finish up with important settings, configurations, and customization, so that you can make your device work the way you want it to. As we go through this course, it's important to keep in mind, Windows 10 is the same on a desktop computer, a laptop, a two-in-one computer, or a tablet, so whether you use your two-in-one as a laptop or as a tablet, it's running the same version of Windows that you would have on a desktop computer.
This course will not introduce Windows 10 in general, so it's best if you already have a working knowledge of Windows 10, or you can use my other course, Windows 10 Essential Training, as a reference when necessary. With that in mind, we can dive in and start working the Microsoft Surface Book and other two-in-one computers.
Nick Brazzi then steps through how to best become productive with the Surface in Tablet mode, exploring the basic touch controls in Windows 10 and how to adjust important settings like notifications, quick actions, and more. Viewers also learn how to use touch to control apps (including Office), multitask, use the onscreen keyboard, work with tiles, and more.
Viewers then learn how to get the most out of the Surface accessories, including how to use the powerful Surface pen with OneNote. Finally, the course explores important customization and security settings, including how to use Windows Hello for fingerprint or face recognition for fast login.
- Touring the device
- Connecting a keyboard, mouse, and external display
- Using touch controls in Windows 10
- Shutting down and restarting
- Multitasking in Windows 10
- Pinning apps to the Start menu
- Using the Pen stylus
- Setting a PIN code for fast login
- Adding storage with a microSD card
Skill Level Beginner
What was added to this course on 01/20/2017?
New videos were added about the Surface pen and the Surface dial.