Join Nick Brazzi for an in-depth discussion in this video Onscreen touch keyboard in Windows, part of Learning the Microsoft Surface Book and Other 2-in-1 Laptops.
- [Voiceover] When you use a computer or a tablet…with no keyboard, the on-screen touch keyboard…becomes indispensable.…If you've used a smart phone or a tablet,…you should be familiar with the basics of a touch keyboard.…But still, I wanna go through and see how it works…in Windows and point out some specific features.…The on-screen keyboard works a little differently…depending on if you're in the tablet mode…or in the desktop mode, so I'm gonna start here…in the tablet mode.…And I'm going to launch Microsoft Edge,…which is the web browser,…and I want you to notice something.…
Microsoft Edge launches and the on-screen keyboard…pops up automatically.…Now, when you do this, the on-screen keyboard may…or may not pop up immediately…when you launch the application.…Generally, the on-screen keyboard will appear…when you need it as long as you're in tablet mode…and you do not have a physical keyboard connected.…And that's why it popped up automatically,…but in some cases, it might wait until…you actually tap on an editable text field…
Nick Brazzi then steps through how to best become productive with the Surface in Tablet mode, exploring the basic touch controls in Windows 10 and how to adjust important settings like notifications, quick actions, and more. Viewers also learn how to use touch to control apps (including Office), multitask, use the onscreen keyboard, work with tiles, and more.
Viewers then learn how to get the most out of the Surface accessories, including how to use the powerful Surface pen with OneNote. Finally, the course explores important customization and security settings, including how to use Windows Hello for fingerprint or face recognition for fast login.
- Touring the device
- Connecting a keyboard, mouse, and external display
- Using touch controls in Windows 10
- Shutting down and restarting
- Multitasking in Windows 10
- Pinning apps to the Start menu
- Using the Pen stylus
- Setting a PIN code for fast login
- Adding storage with a microSD card
Skill Level Beginner
What was added to this course on 01/20/2017?
New videos were added about the Surface pen and the Surface dial.