Research and development (also known as R&D) is the function that generates new innovations for your business. This training video helps you understand how your organization performs R&D activities. It explores questions like: How does your organization innovate? Is there a formal R&D function? Or is R&D outsourced or acquired?
- New products, new services, and improvements to…products and processes is the purview of research and…development.…Depending on your industry, R and D lead times for…new products can be short, like for an internet business, or…they can make a quick change.…Medium, like for a consumer package goods company,…or long, say for a pharmaceutical company.…How does your organization innovate?…Is there a formal R and D function?…Or is R and D outsourced to another company?…Do you acquire new innovations, going out…and buying companies because they've got a great capability,…and you want to bring it in house?…Buying innovation is a very lucrative method,…and it can be very fast.…
What type of R and D does your organization do?…Is it all about new products?…Or cost reductions?…Is R and D changing your processes?…Different R and D models are dependent…upon your business model.…I worked with a pharmaceutical company that had very long…lead times for new products, getting a new drug to market.…They had a large formal R and D function.…
- What business are you in?
- What's your market and who is your competition?
- What problem does your business solve?
- How are your products and services created? What are your pricing and growth strategies?
- How do you measure performance?
With the answers in hand, you can be assured your have the knowledge to make the best decisions for your business.
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.