In this video, you'll learn there are four different kinds of hecklers, who can disrupt your presentation. Regardless of the type and the situation, you can outmaneuver their behavior, always be in charge, and command the room with your knowledge and expertise.
- There are different schools of thought…when it comes to managing a heckler.…Regardless of the path you choose,…your goal is to always be in charge…and to continue commanding the room…with your knowledge and expertise.…On the other hand, the hecklers goal…is to interrupt or disrupt,…throwing you and your presentation…and the entire audience off track.…Understanding heckler personalities is step one.…If you know them, then you can learn some of the best…approaches to handle each.…
I've broken out four different types of hecklers…with the techniques I would recommend…depending on the situation.…Be on the lookout for these four types of hecklers.…The joker, the joker is just looking for attention.…It's the type of heckler who cracks jokes…and wants to make the audience laugh.…With the joker, in most cases you can quickly joke back…and then steer the discussion back on track.…You don't want to ignore the joker.…
Even if this happens a few times, it's okay,…because the audience will be experiencing the joker…right along with you.…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Recall the two-step process for understanding your audience.
- List the five steps to neutralize the negative.
- Summarize the characteristics of the five types of people in an audience.
- Recognize the importance of keeping your composure.
- Determine the most appropriate action to take if you are unable to answer all the questions at the end of your presentation.