Join Brenda Bailey-Hughes for an in-depth discussion in this video Senders, part of Organization Communication.
- I want you to give some serious thought…to the best senders of your message.…Your sender should be influential to the receivers.…What is it to be influential?…The ancient Greeks would explain it this way.…When Aeschines speaks, the people say how well he speaks.…But when Demosthenes speaks, the people say, let's march!…Demosthenes is our influencer here,…someone who can change the actions of others.…
What makes a person influential…and a good candidate for sending messages?…People generally influence us…if they have some kind of power in our eyes.…And that power falls into five categories.…Legitimate power happens when people comply with a request…because the sender has a certain title or position.…Let's face it.…Sometimes we do what the boss says…because the boss is the boss.…We respect the position…and demonstrate that respect through compliance.…
Reward power refers to behavior motivated…because a sender can reward you in some way.…You follow up quickly with a request from a potential client…because he has the power to reward you with new business.…
- Who is the receiver of the message?
- Who would be the best sender?
- What is the focus of the message?
- How will it be interpreted?
- Is feedback necessary?
- What is the best channel?
- What is the context for the message?
Along the way, Brenda shows how these key questions apply to four real-world scenarios at organizations of different sizes, locations, and functions. By the end of the course, you'll have the skills you need to improve the internal and external communication strategies at your company.