Join Brenda Bailey-Hughes for an in-depth discussion in this video Practice and apply: Senders, part of Organization Communication.
- Let's experiment with these power categories.…In the exercise file called Practice Exercises…write down three or four recent times…when someone has influenced you…to take a certain action.…Now let's consider the possible reasons…for your willingness to be influenced.…Check mark all that apply.…Check legitimate if the sender has a certain title…or position that you responded to.…Reward if the sender could reward you.…
Coercive if you were worried…that the person would punish you…or make life difficult…if you failed to comply.…Expert if you were influenced…because the sender really knows her stuff.…Referent if there is just something about this person…that resonates with you…and earned your trust.…Now return to your communication action plan…and start identifying the best senders…for each of your receivers.…
Who are the most influential messengers…for your project.…
- Who is the receiver of the message?
- Who would be the best sender?
- What is the focus of the message?
- How will it be interpreted?
- Is feedback necessary?
- What is the best channel?
- What is the context for the message?
Along the way, Brenda shows how these key questions apply to four real-world scenarios at organizations of different sizes, locations, and functions. By the end of the course, you'll have the skills you need to improve the internal and external communication strategies at your company.
Skill Level Advanced
1. The Purpose
2. The People
3. The Message
4. The Channel
5. The Context
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.