Join Brenda Bailey-Hughes for an in-depth discussion in this video Practice and apply: Mental filters, part of Organization Communication.
- My friend Emily gives us a great example…of mental filters.…Emily is the Training and Development Director…at a bank.…The bank instituted a Secret Shopper program…about three years ago.…Now, over the last few months,…the scores on the Secret Shopper reports have declined.…Not a lot, but the leadership wants to be proactive.…They realize that many of the new tellers…weren't even working here back when they did…some customer service training…and started the Secret Shopper program.…
The leadership team contacted Emily…and asked her to create and conduct…mandatory customer service training…for every teller at the bank.…Now take a moment and imagine…being a teller who is told…that you must attend customer service training.…How are you likely to interpret this message?…How might you respond?…Emily was empathetic enough to realize…that her message might create…an emotional response in people.…
People could hear her message to mean,…"You think I'm bad at my job"…or "You blame us, the tellers,…"for every problem the bank has."…
- Who is the receiver of the message?
- Who would be the best sender?
- What is the focus of the message?
- How will it be interpreted?
- Is feedback necessary?
- What is the best channel?
- What is the context for the message?
Along the way, Brenda shows how these key questions apply to four real-world scenarios at organizations of different sizes, locations, and functions. By the end of the course, you'll have the skills you need to improve the internal and external communication strategies at your company.
Skill Level Advanced
1. The Purpose
2. The People
3. The Message
4. The Channel
5. The Context
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.