Every relationship experiences highs and lows. Obstacles are important to recognize and develop strategies in order to overcome. In this video, you will learn how to overcome some common obstacles in mentoring.
- Research demonstrates that 20%…of formal mentoring relationships…experience something negative at one point or another.…This is a quote by scholars Murphy and Kram…in Strategic Relationships at Work.…If you are struggling now or have in the past…with challenging mentoring situations,…then please know you are not alone.…In this video we are going to talk about…two common obstacles that emerge in mentoring relationships…and suggestions for how to overcome them.…
The first common obstacle is incompatible schedules…slash poor communication.…Everyone is way too busy these days,…and there are so many forms of communication.…I know it is tempting to simply hide…beneath our mountain of email and just give up…scheduling our mentoring sessions.…Here are some ideas to help you.…Have a real conversation with your protege…about each other's communication preferences.…Make an agreement about how and when you will connect.…
Make it the protege's job to schedule meeting times.…For example, I have a mentor who refuses to text.…
She also offers guidance on building trust and chemistry, providing feedback, and helping your protégé make critical career and work decisions and become resilient in the face of challenges. She also helps you address common obstacles, including a protégé that fails to meet expectations or violates trust, and explains how to gracefully exit the relationship.
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Building a relationship with your protégé
- Talking and listening with impact
- Giving feedback
- Developing trust
- Setting goals
- Developing your protégé's skills
- Managing mentoring relationships
- Overcoming common obstacles
- How to make time for mentoring